Gluten Free Pizza Crust with Toasted Cumin
Serving size: 3 servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Total time: 30 min
For Chickpea and Red Cabbage Gluten Free Pizza with Toasted Cumin you’ll need the following ingredients:
1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
6 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs. honey
2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
1 large peeled clove garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, or 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved, divided
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
4 Tbs. chopped cilantro, divided
4 oz. chilled soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 1.Position the rack just below the center of the oven. Place a large rimmed baking sheet on the rack and preheat to 450°F.
- 2.Heat 1 Tbs. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cabbage and toss to coat. Add vinegar and 1/4 cup water. Bring to simmer. Cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until cabbage is just tender. Remove from heat, stir in honey, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- 3.Toast cumin in a small skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until seeds get darker and very fragrant. Cool. Grind in spice grinder or coffee grinder.
- 4.Drop garlic and salt into food processor while running, and finely chop. Add 1 1/4 cups chickpeas, 1/4 cup water or reserved chickpea liquid, 1 1/2 tsp. cumin, and pepper. Blend to coarse puree. Transfer to bowl, and mix in 3 Tbs. cilantro.
- 5.Brush tops of Gluten Free Pizza Crusts with remaining 1 1/2 tsp. oil. Heat heavy skillet over high heat. Add 1 crust, oiled side down, to skillet. Cook 2 minutes, or until crisp on bottom, pressing flat with spatula. Repeat with remaining crusts.
- 6.Spread chickpea puree on crisp side of each Gluten Free Pizza Crust leaving 1/2-inch border. Top each with 2/3 cup red cabbage, then dot with cheese. Press remaining 1/4 cup whole chickpeas into topping. Sprinkle each pizza with large pinch of remaining 1/2 tsp. cumin. Transfer pizzas to baking sheet with spatula, and bake 6 to 8 minutes, or until toppings are heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbs. cilantro.
Now you have a perfect dish for lunch or dinner and some leftovers for sandwiches for tomorrow! Looking for more? Check out our other Gluten Free Pizza Crust recipes, like Lemon-Ricotta Herbed Gluten Free Pizza or Caramelized Plum, Mozzarella & Arugula Low Carb Pizza