We've swapped out chickpeas for edamame in this twist on typical falafel. Served with a homemade sweet and sour papaya chutney and creamy yogurt, there is a full meal within in these veggie wraps. This recipe features our super delicious Smokey Heaven Wrawp Wraps which makes the results taste unbelievably great.
Serving size: 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 min
Total time: 50 min
For Spiced Edamame Falafel Veggie Wraps with Papaya Chutney you’ll need the following ingredients:
8 Smokey Heaven Wrawp Wraps
1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
1 tbsp grapeseed oil, divided
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp each ground cumin, coriander and turmeric
4 cups edamame, shelled and cooked
1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 large beets, grated
2 large carrots, grated
1/2 cup plain coconut or regular yogurt
1 tsp grapeseed oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1 small papaya, cut Into 1/4-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
1/8 tsp sea salt
- Prepare chutney: In a medium saucepan on medium, heat 1 tsp oil. Add 3 cloves garlic, jalapeno, and coriander and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add remaining chutney ingredients except for the salt, and stir. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the chutney has reduced by one-third and has thickened, remove from heat and stir in 1/8 tsp salt. Chutney can be served warm, at room temperature or chilled.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flax seeds and 2 tbsp water. Set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- In a small skillet on medium, heat 1 tsp oil. Add onions and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add 2 cloves garlic, cumin, coriander and turmeric and saute until fragrant, about minute. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine edamame, parsley, and 1/2 tsp salt . Process until thoroughly combined -- but only to a coarse, mealy texture. In a large bowl, add edamame mixture along with onion-spice mixture and flaxseeds. Using your hands, thoroughly combine. Using a 1-tbsp measure, form mixture into small balls and arrange on a large parchment-lined baking sheet, making about 32 balls in total.
- In a large skillet on medium, heat 1/2 tsp oil. Add 8 balls. Using your spatula, flatten each ball slightly, cover and cook for about 2 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip, cover and cook for another minutes on the other side. Repeat with remaining oil and balls.
- Divide falafels, beet and carrot, yogurt and papaya chutney among Smokey Heaven Wrawp Wraps.
Tips and recommendations to make this recipe even better than other veggie wraps recipes:
- For a kick of heat, try a quick spicy tahini sauce instead of yogurt - simply whiz up tahini paste, water, lemon zest and juice, and a red chile in a food processor and you've got another element to add to these veggie wraps!
- You can prepare the chutney in advance and spend less time on cooking when you are in a hurry. Cover and refrigerate. Before cooking, allow 1 hour to come to room temperature.